Google
 

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Trip to the ER

We had to make an unexpected trip to the ER on Wednesday. No, it wasn't baby related. In fact, it wasn't even for me.

A little background.....Since gas is now almost $4/gal and we're trying to save money for baby and such, Josh has been biking to work. It's about a 4 mile ride each way. He loves it b/c there is less stress, there's a nice wind blowing in his face, and it's an easy way to get in his exercise everyday. We do live near a busy road, but he has found a couple routes that keep him mostly on residential streets. There is one spot though where he has to be on the main road because it goes over the river and there are no other ways to get across. He is very safety conscious and wears reflective gear and helmet and even has a pulsing light on the front for when it's darker out.

So on Wednesday, he leaves for work around 6:30 am. The sun is beginning to come up and it looks like it's going to be a nice day. As he's going down a hill on the busier road, he notices a big white truck start to pull out of a gas station, but it stops so he figures the driver has seen him. He gets about 15 feet from the truck when it pulls out and starts to make a left. Josh slams on his brakes, but it's too late. He hits the truck and falls to the ground. The guy rolls down his window and asks if he's alright. Josh says, "I think so," so the guy leaves. Josh gets up and calls me to give him a ride to work (it's now about 6:45 and I normally don't get up until around 8). So I rush out of the house in my pj's. I have to call him to make sure where he is and he tells me he can't lift his arm and feels like he's going to pass out. So now I'm freaking out. I pick him up and throw his bike in the back of my truck and rush him to the ER.

We get there and I drop him at the door and go to park. When I get inside, there's no one around behind the counter. The girl finally comes out and do all the triage stuff. We go back to the room where they do some Xrays. Fortunately, the shoulder is just dislocated, and we were only there for a couple hours. He is supposed to do a follow-up with an orthopedic surgeon next week. He's still in some pain, but he's got ibpropren and vicodin so he's okay. He's also wearing an immobilizer sling so he doesn't pop it back out. The bad thing is that it's his right shoulder and he's right handed so it's been interesting watching and helping him try to do stuff one handed.

3 comments:

jenn said...

Oh no!!! I hope he is okay! I can't believe the truck just left with him still on te ground, how awful!

Jen said...

How scary! I'm glad he is doing better now, but I hope this doesn't turn into anything major.

Rebecca said...

oh how crazy! i hope he's feeling better so soon!