Google
 

Friday, February 8, 2008

Go in peace

I was reading my friend Tammy's blog where she was discussing the song "Count Your Blessings." She was talking about how hard it is to continue to remember all His blessings when we're praying for one more. In it she asked for a sign that she wouldn't be relegated to a life without children.

As I was reading, I was reminded of the story of Hannah. Back in the day, it was seen almost as a curse from God to be barren. Hannah's husband's other wife would make fun of her. Her husband didn't even understand why she was so upset about not having kids. She was totally devoted to God and kept praying. But she was in total anguish and grief. Finally, she was praying with such earnestness, the priest thought she was drunk. When she explained the situation, he said "Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him." Then she goes home, has sex with her husband, gets pregnant and eventually gives birth to Samuel who goes on to become one of God's greatest prophets and advisor to kings.

When I read that, it really hit home. It was like God telling me, "it will happen." I don't know when or how, but I do believe it will. I don't pretend to believe that I can just sit back and wait on God to make it happen. I know that it's going to take some work on my part as well. But I no longer feel discouraged or despair. When I remember how many women who were well past child bearing age got pregnant, I know that miracles can happen.

"And blessed is she that believed; for there shall be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord." Luke 1:45

No comments: