Google
 

Monday, February 11, 2008

Man, I hate medical here

So I've been sick since Thursday. I took mucinex, dayquil, nyquil, etc and figured it would go away within a few days. Last night, I called the after hours number for medical b/c it just wasn't going away. The after hours number pretty much is just an answering service so they paged the on call doc. She calls and asks what's wrong so I go through all my symptoms. Then she asks "what do you want me to do?" I'm thinking, "you're the doctor, what should you do?" So I asked her about getting me an appointment for this morning or giving me a referral for the medi-center. She said she couldn't do anything since everything was closed except the ER and it wasn't an emergency.

So I called the appointment line this morning about 10 mins after they opened. I was on hold for almost half an hour. But of course, since pretty much all the docs but 1 are deployed, they didn't have any appointments. So she leaves a message for the nurse. This is at 7:30 this morning. I go back to sleep and wake up again around 10:45. I call to see if they've done anything and she says they've looked at it but haven't done anything about it. Finally, the nurse calls at noon to say it's probably something viral so she puts in the referral.

I'd never been there before so I wasn't sure where it was so it took me awhile to get there. When I get there, I tell the registration woman that I have a referral and she tells me that they aren't taking any more patients. In fact, they stopped taking patients at 11 this morning and still have 20 something left to see before they can leave. I was so upset. I mean, if I coulda gotten a referral when I first called, I coulda already seen the doc and had some real medicine to make me feel better. So I call the nurse back to let her know, and wait a couple more hours for her to call and let me know that I need to get a new referral in the morning! I just think this is completely ridiculous!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Unbelievable. That is awful that you have to jump through so many hoops, especially when you're not feeling well!

Katie said...

By the time you get seen, you might be feeling better. Gotta love bureaucracy. I'm suffering through that sinus crud, too, so I feel your pain. No NyQuil for me, though, so I've had more than a few restless nights. Hope you get in to the doctor sometime this year!