Google
 

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'll probably not get a job now

I read an article in our paper about how the new semester started with 22 new teachers, district-wide. A couple of the new teachers just graduated in December. So I emailed the 2 human resource directors:

"Hi. I was reading the article about the 22 new teachers in the newspaper, and it got me to wondering if you still had my application and resume. I have applied for every elementary and middle school position listed (though I don't remember seeing all of the schools who have new teachers). I don't understand how teachers fresh out of college with no experience are better qualified than someone who has a Master's degree and almost 5 years experience. It almost feels like I'm being discriminated against because I wasn't born in San Angelo or because my husband is in the military. It is just a little frustrating knowing that I am an excellent teacher with excellent credentials yet still can't seem to get an interview! Sorry, I guess I'm just venting."

One director emailed me back saying that I have had interviews which is better than other applicants and that I should just "keep trying." Then I got a call from the HR secretary saying the other director wants me to come in for a short meeting tomorrow.

3 comments:

KatieM said...

I think the short meeting is a good thing! And, I think it is wonderful that you took the initiative to find out what the issue is. Best of luck hun, I hope you are pleasantly surprised =)

Katie said...

I almost have to wonder if they're hiring ones with no Master's degree and no experience because they can get away with paying them less... I do hope that the meeting with the director goes well.

Jen said...

Well a meeting is good. And I can understand why you wrote that to them. I mean obviously its pretty frustrating!